I recently posted an introduction to using Zoom, and tips on staying safe and secure on Zoom, but I thought it was about time I wrote about other features available in Zoom – such as changing your background and putting participants on hold during meetings.
Zoom – More Features
Changing Your Background
Yes, you too can star in Dr Who, Play School or The Simpsons… The BBC released over 100 pictures of empty sets (link here) including Dr Who, Blake’s Seven, Strictly, Absolutely Fabulous, Play School, Blue Peter and Match of the Day.
To save a background…
- Click on an image to bring up a full quality downloadable version
- Right- click on the image
- From the menu that appears, choose Save image as…
- Find your preferred destination
- Name the file
- Click Save
To Upload to Zoom
- Open Zoom
- Access Zoom’s settings (click on the cog in the top right-hand corner of the screen, under your profile picture)
- Select Virtual Background from the menu bar on the left
- Click the Plus Icon
- Choose Add Image
- Navigate to where you saved your background image
- Select it (by clicking on it)
- Click on Open
Putting Attendees on Hold
Note – the Waiting Room feature must be Disabled to put an attendee on hold. You must be a host to put a participant on hold.
Placing a specific attendee or attendees on hold temporarily stops video and audio to that attendee or attendees, allowing the host and other participants to continue the meeting. Foe example, this feature could be used if interviewers want to discuss a candidate for a job, or if a particular attendee is disrupting a meeting.
To place a participant on hold…
- During a meeting, click on Manage Participants
- Hover over the name of the attendee you want to put on hold
- Click on More
- Then select Put on hold
- The Participants List will now show that this attendee is on hold
- The attendee will see a screen indicating that the meeting host will let them in shortly
To take a participant off hold…
- Click on Take off hold in the participants’ list
- The attendee will re-enter the meeting
I hope you enjoyed reading this and learned something useful! If you aren’t a fan of Zoom, have a look at Zoom alternatives here.