LibreOffice is a fantastic cross-platform, open-source office suite. It is free to download. It includes: Writer (word processor), Calc (spreadsheets), Impress (presentations), Draw (vector graphics), Math (mathematical formulae) Base (databases) and Charts. Libre Office is also compatible with .doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, .ppt and .pptx files – that is, Microsoft file formats.
How to Download LibreOffice
Time needed: 5 minutes.
- Go to www.libreoffice.org
- LibreOffice website will open
- Click on the large Download Now button in the middle of the screen, or on the green menu bar click download, then choose LibreOffice
- Choose which version of LibreOffice you want to download. The older version (7.0.6) will be more stable (as it has had more testing, and more users), but the newer version (currently 7.1.3) will have more features
- Select your operating system (if necessary), then click on Download
- The software will download (this screenshot may look slightly different, depending on what browser you are using). Double-click on the installation file to run it
- The installation wizard will open
- Choose whether you want a typical or custom installation (I chose typical)
- You will be asked if you want to create a shortcut on your desktop, and whether you want LibreOffice to run at startup
- LibreOffice will start to install
- This may take a few minutes….
- Finally installation will be complete
- Click on Finish
- To open LibreOffice, click on Start and it should be listed under Recently Added (or double-click on the desktop shortcut, if you chose to add one during installation)
- Click on LibreOffice 🙂